eClinicalWorks has invested significantly in the development of a progressive and sustainable model for delivering quality, evidence-based medical care in a correctional health environment. The eClinicalWorks Correctional Health model electronic medical record includes features that take the many unique requirements of a correctional facility into consideration, while providing the comprehensive features of its CCHIT-certified ambulatory EMR. In addition, the Correctional Health model follows the standard NCCHC guidelines for the various data sets and trigger points.
As part of its contract with the New York Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, eClinicalWorks implemented the Correctional Health model at Rikers Island while meeting all the complex workflows. Today, eClinicalWorks is being used at all 13 Rikers Island facilities with approximately 1,000 users.
In addition to Rikers Island, eClinicalWorks is proud to be partners in healthcare with two of the nation's foremost providers of quality healthcare in a correctional health environment: Correctional Medical Services, Inc. (CMS) & California Forensic Medical Group Inc. (CFMG).
California Forensic Medical Group Inc. (CFMG) is the first privately owned, West Coast-based provider of healthcare services to correctional facilities. CFMG is dedicated to providing responsive, innovative, high quality and cost effective healthcare services to county correctional facilities in the State of California. CFMG has developed medical delivery systems that are responsive to the needs of inmates, administrators, and county officials. Programs are accredited through the California Medical Association’s Institute of Medical Quality for both adult and juvenile correctional facilities. Using eClinicalWorks will allow the group to streamline operations and improve the quality of care provided through reporting capabilities and the ability to share data across the counties, facilitating in the continuity of care for inmates.
California Forensic Medical Group is committed to providing the healthcare solutions available to each county it serves,” said Elaine Hustedt, Vice President of Operations and Personnel for California Forensic Medical Group. “When we decided to adopt an EMR system, we required one that was flexible, user-friendly and that had a solid understanding of correctional health workflows. eClinicalWorks met or exceeded all of these criteria and we look forward to working with them.”
In addition, eClinicalWorks will be providing its electronic medical record software to the State of Hawaii at its seven correctional facilities on four islands, as well as throughout the City of Philadelphia Department of Public Health’s Prison System.
eClinicalWorks has developed an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) with numerous features that are specific to a Correctional Health environment.
Correctional Health customers using eClinicalWorks can utilize these features:
- Patient Demographics (Correctional) » In addition to basic demographics such as patient First Name, Last Name, DOB, Gender, Address, etc, there is an additional window to capture inmate demographics. Information contained in this window includes:
- State ID Number
- Book and Case Number
- Facility and Housing Area
- Citizenship Status
- Alias names (three A.K.A. fields)
- Mental Health Status
- Suicide Watch Status
- Patient Lookup » The Patient Lookup tool has been enhanced to facilitate searching for patient records in a Correctional Health environment. Searches can be made on unique criteria that is pertinent to correctional systems such as: State ID Number and Book & Case Number.
Searching by other patient demographics such as name, SSN, and DOB are also available when applicable. Searches can also be performed on historical Book & Case numbers, as well as the current episode.
- Patient Intake Workflow » Do you have an Intake Process for new or existing inmates? Let eClinicalWorks Intake Registration and Intake Console handle your workflow by automating the intake process. These two modules that are built into the application can help your organization streamline your Intake Process. Some key features that are included within these screens are:
- Inmate's Intake Visit can be automatically created via an OMS/JMS interface
- Sort Intake Visits by facility
- Sort Intake Visits by date range
- Inmate Intake check-in & date/time is captured
- Demographic verification
- Assign a provider or change the appointment provider/resource
- View or update orders (e.g., Labs, DI, Immunizations, Medications, Procedures, etc.)
- Check the patient out from this module and view the overall duration of the Intake Visit
- Electronically sign off and lock the Progress Note
- Patient Housing Console » Does your organization conduct segregation (Seg) rounds? The Patient Housing Console can help manage cell-side rounds and segregated housing rounds. This module allows users to view a roster of inmates from a certain facility and housing area and electronically document the status of the Seg Round medical check.
This tool helps your staff quickly manage the daily or weekly Seg Rounds and successfully document any medications, labs, procedures, immunizations, etc. that need to be ordered during this process. This data captured during these important cell-side visits is automatically recorded within the patient's chart and reports can be generated to view historical information.
- Sick Call & Chronic Care Workflow Management » Chronic/Sick Call Visits is another unique workflow within Correctional Health that is very important. As a correctional health facility, it is the organization's responsibility to manage and monitor the patient's health whether the patient has an acute problem (e.g., sore throat, runny nose, etc.) or a longer term chronic problem such as diabetes, CAD, or hypertension.
- Clinical Visit Console Management » eClinicalWorks provides management of sick calls/walk-in and chronic care appointments via the Clinical Visit Console. This dynamic console can help manage these visits by tour based and housing area and allows for user-friendly and intuitive tracking of inmates during treatment.
- Chronic Care Management » eClinicalWorks contains a built-in real-time Clinical Decision Support System (CDSS) for treating the patient. This powerful tool is an active knowledge system that uses a database of pre-configured quality measures and patient data to generate case-specific advice to the provider at the point of care. eClinicalWorks has built custom CDSS alerts that are specific to the Correctional Health environment and these alerts will help manage complex chronic care cases.
- Patient Disposition » During the Intake process, the disposition of the patient must be documented and any follow-up activities must be specified. eClinicalWorks has incorporated a Disposition section that can be accessed from the Progress Note to help streamline this last step. Once the Disposition has been documented within the system, the information is stored in the patient's record, the Disposition form can be printed and the follow-up information can be scheduled all in one screen.
- Infirmary Console » The Infirmary Console area of the application is where patients/inmates are admitted to an in-patient setting within the Correctional Health enterprise. The Infirmary Console gives users the ability to search for a patient, admit the patient to the infirmary, and discharge the patient. The user can assign a bed type (medical, mental health, etc.) and view the status of patients who have been admitted to the infirmary. Once the patient appears on the Infirmary Console, any clinical documentation can be perform such as ordering medication, taking vitals, ordering and resulting labs, etc.
The Infirmary Console is flexible and customizable when configuring the Infirmary Name, Room ID, Bed ID, Bed Type, etc. This module allows your organization to have multiple infirmaries if needed. eClinicalWorks has made managing the infirmary easy, so your physicians and nurses can focus on patient care.
- Detox Monitoring Tools » Drug/substance detoxification is used to reduce or relieve withdrawal symptoms while helping the addicted individual adjust to living without drug use. Drug detoxification is not meant to treat addiction but rather is used as an early intervention as part of a long-term treatment plan. eClinicalWorks provides tools that are based on NCCHC guidelines for monitoring/tracking the detoxification status and progress of an inmate who is undergoing a detoxification regimen.
- Task List (Actions) » Many provider and nurse workflows require delegation of new tasks (e.g., scheduling of referral, vital check, procedure, etc.) while provider is still focusing on completing the order at hand. eClinicalWorks has the ability to capture, track, assign and complete such activities, by the use of the Actions feature.
Actions is a integrated feature that allows a user to create a patient-specific tasks that can be assigned to a generic group or an individual staff member to follow up and complete. These actions can be a single instance or can be a recurring action (e.g., hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly re-occurring action). Common actions that are scheduled for patients in a correctional health setting could include:
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Suicide watch
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Wound care
- OMS/JMS Interface Workflow » eClinicalWorks has more than four years of experience developing Offender Management/Jail Management Systems (OMS/JMS) interfaces and has invested a significant amount of time and effort to understand the uniqueness of the workflow in a correctional health environment. The integration schema is robust and dynamic in nature with approximately 135 solid integration logics built into the system.
eClinicalWorks is flexible in its development approach and can design a uni-directional or a bi-directional interface between the OMS/JMS application and the eCW EMR, depending on the Department of Corrections’ unique needs and desired workflows.
Key Highlights of the OMS/JMS Interfaces:
- Inmate Intake Automation
- Discharge Management
- Patient Housing Transfer Logic
- Inmate Chart Reviews
Electronic Medication Administration Record (eMAR) » Finally, the user can document the medication administration for the patient as either administration successful or administration failed. Custom reasons for the failed administration of the medication can be captured and stored within the patient's record.
When ordering a medication within the Treatment section, the user can determine an administration schedule for the medication with the eMAR scheduling feature. Once the medication is scheduled, the pharmacy users can access the Medication Administration window and a variety of filters are available to search for the correct patient or list of patients.
- Discharge Planning and Management » A carefully planned discharge from a correctional facility can reduce the rate of recidivism within the correctional system. eClinicalWorks provides workflows/tools for Discharge Planning before the inmate is released to the community. Nurses and providers can plan the inmate’s discharge by documenting medication orders, community support group meetings, physician appointments, case worker/probation officer meetings, etc. via the discharge console module.
- Medication Classification and Authorization » Does your organization have a certain formulary that is used when ordering medications? eClinicalWorks Rx Classification functionality allows an administrator to classify each medication during system setup as either Formulary, Non-Formulary or Restricted. This screen will provide flexibility to customize the necessary formulary to ensure that all users are ordering the correct medications.
At the ordering level, the provider/nurse can easily see by color-code which medications are considered Formulary, Non-Formulary or Restricted based upon the configuration within Rx Classification functionality. If a Non-Formulary or Restricted medication is selected, a warning displays and additional levels of approval must be obtained prior to the medication being dispensed in the pharmacy.
eClinicalWorks delivers advance healthcare technology to Correctional Health facilities. Download our brochure to learn more about our innovation, technology and support.